Special Notes for Service Animals
A recent Memo outlines new guidance on Service Animals and Service Animal Handler Responsibilities:
No later than 48 hours in advance of the date and time of departure, the service animal handler must provide the departing DoD passenger terminal:
1. A signed Statement of Assurance (Click HERE for an example) with the below information:
(a) Service animal handlers name, email address, and phone number.
(b) Service animal user’s name if different from the handler and phone number.
(c) Service animal name and description that includes appearance, height, and weight.
(d) Current service animal information:
1. Rabies vaccination date and date vaccination expires.
2. Other health, disease, or conditions such as fleas, ticks or a disease that could endanger people or other animals.
3. Veterinarian’s name and phone number.
4. Name and contact information of service animal trainer or training organization that provided training to do work or perform tasks for the service animal user.
The Office of Under Secretary of Defense released an amendment to DoDI 4515.13, Air Transportation Eligibility, removing language of Emotional Support Animals traveling on DoD-owned and Controlled Aircraft.