Top 10 Reasons I'll Miss AMC
By Gen. Darren McDew, Commander, Air Mobility Command
/ Published August 11, 2015
SCOTT AIR FORCE BASE, Ill. --
After spending more than a year leading the outstanding active duty, guard, reserve and civilian Airmen at Air Mobility Command, my time with you has come to an end. While I am incredibly honored to have been selected to continue serving our nation at U.S. Transportation Command, I cannot help but reflect on my time with the AMC community with fondness and nostalgia. I've had the opportunity to meet some of the most amazing Airmen in the U.S. Air Force, and witness firsthand the extraordinary way you accomplish your missions, with such dedication and professionalism. I look forward to being able to witness you rise to the future challenges you will undoubtedly encounter, and I eagerly anticipate applauding your inevitable successes.
With that said, I'd like to share with you a few of things that made AMC such a special assignment for me.
10. AMC. Everywhere! Mobility Airmen are global. It is such a great privilege to watch you enable airpower all over the world. You are the reason behind global reach.
9. Surrounded by Blue. There is no better sense of community than being surrounded by a sea of Air Force Blues (and Airman Battle Uniforms).
8. Oreo Cookies and Dove Chocolate. Every man has his weakness, and my front office team knew how to exploit mine. They are the fuel behind the fire that is AMC. They know how to get things done, even it means assuring the commander has that extra sugar push to get through the day.
7. Community. AMC has the most dedicated civic partners. Never before have I witnessed such understanding and undying support from such an exceptional community.
6. Airpower...From the Ground Up! No one does it like you do. Whether it's fighting Ebola, bringing relief to earthquake victims, or opening an airfield for operations within hours, you make your mark on the world.
5. The View. Every time I look out my window at the historic Scott Field and the legacy walk of fame I am reminded of AMC's great history and the leaders who paved the way.
4. Lunch with Airmen. The best part ... hands down.
3. AE. Explaining to those unaware AE does not stand for a TV channel or a clothing line. Aeromedical Evacuation is our mission. AMC Airmen saves lives.
2. The balcony brief. The most appropriately named briefing I've ever been to. It's literally on a "balcony." More importantly, I have the opportunity to sit in the 618th Air Operations Center and listen to your weekly accomplishments. What have you not done?
1. Mobility Airmen. AMC has the best in the business. It's been an honor and a privilege being your commander. Thank You.